RE: Emissions Testing A possible answer

Steve wrote:
> I think I've found a way out.
>
> I asked about classifying my vehicle as a "specially constructed vehicle"
> which is a valid classification and comes right up on the emissions
> testing computer.

I checked this out about two years ago when I was getting my Scout ready.
If the modifications are substantial enough they'll treat it like a
fabricated vehicle, and assign a VIN to it.  This VIN should be good in all
50 states.  My scout is a 1980 with engine, transmission, and axles from a
'75.  Unfortunately, mine isn't unusual enough really.  So, I gave up.  The
folks I spoke with seemed to really want to give it the year of the body,
and only really want to depart from that in extreme cases ('29 Ford on '72
Chevy frame, etc).  Then again, the folks in Colorado Springs really didn't
seem very knowledgable at all when it came right down to it.

Sounds like a great way to go, since I'm sure that they don't make you
comply with 1999 emissions standards.  I'd talk to some of the folks
involved in the decision process before you get too far down that path
though.  It may be worth the effort to swap/upgrade a few parts just to
underscore the point that this vehicle is assembled from multiple vehicles.
You know, non-stock springs, grill from a '71, gas tank from a '75, seats
from a Toyota, etc, etc.  Not that there's a difference between a '74 and a
'79 Dana 20, or even that they could distinctuish a Dana 300 from a Dana 20!

Ken