Emissions Testing A possible answer

Tom,  Scouters,

I've been talking to the Mo State Highway Patrol who is in charge of
enforcement for EPA and safety inspections for Missouri.

I think I've found a way out.

I asked about classifying my vehicle as a "specially constructed vehicle"
which is a valid classification and comes right up on the emissions
testing computer.

I told the MHP that I was building a car and wanted to see if I could
register as the manufacturer.  They asked me to describe what I was doing.
They handle a lot of tube-frame dune buggies this way.

I said I was starting with an IH Scout.  I said I was replacing the
following items and have a bill of sale for all.

1- Complete body with Kentrol Fibreglass from Ohio
   It will have:
	Full disc brakes and parking brakes
	windshield with washer/wipers
   	Seat belts/shoulder harnesses
	Roll cage
	Normal headlights, turn-stop-tail lights, backup lights
	Horn
	Full bumpers front and rear. Nerf bars on the sides.
	New electronic instrumentation
	All new electrical wiring
	New suspension
   Only the engine block, transmission, transfer cas, axles, and frame
   survive from the original vehicle.
2- Complete ignition system with modern electronics
3- Complete fuel system with full feedback EFI
I said that it will look like a Scout but will actually have relatively
few IH parts in it anymore.

I've talked to two officers and they both have been encouraging.  They
have given me the number of the form to fill out ($25 for the form).  At
this point the MHP will inspect it to see if any of the parts were stolen
(all mine are covered by the title to the original vehicle), Then I have
to get a safety inspection (only an idiot would drive anything that
wouldn't pass) and emission inspection.  The inspection standards are much
reduced from the '99 levels.  I can't remember them but it sounds like it
already passes.

I asked if this this will exist when the Feds jam the new salvation regs
(see CA) down our throats.  I phrased it a bit differently.  He says that
yes, this classification will still exist.  He claims to have been looking
at the new laws.

He also says that this classification should exist in CA.  Claims it
exists under Fed Law.

Any comments from CA?

Steve
Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776