Re: Selling my Traveler

Steve:

Us native Californians will try anything to keep more people from moving
here and making this place even more crowded. Trips down I5 during the
summer, telling them to live in the only open space left - Death Valley,
even jacking the price of gasoline up on the breaking news of a refinery
accident. It's kind of like the stock market these days.

It it's any consolation: A young man I know who programs in C++ and is
supposedly pretty good at, was recently offered a position in a startup
company. He is only 38 years old and has about 15 years experience in
programming. His people skills are absolutely zero and he definitely fits
the description of "computer nerd". He is very hard to communicate with. My
point - he was offered a starting salary of $140,000/year plus full
benefits and stock options. Makes me wonder why I left programming in the
first place. Of course, I'm so old that when I started programming right
out of college it was in FORTRAN and we used "cards" and JCL on an IBM 370
to run those programs.

Salaries like that are common around here, if you have the right skill set.
It makes paying $400,000 for a house and $2/gallon for gas a little less
painfull. :-)

Tom H. (If I could make $140,000/year I'd dedicate my life to work for
three years, save every dime, then retire on my income from the stock I got
when they go public)