Re: Rear wheel bearings

Tom & everyone,

   Just thought I would chime in here with a bit more on the bearing
adjustment procedure here.  For everyone that is reading this thread, and
saying what the heck are they talking about, I put a couple pic's of the
adjuster, and bearing retainer on my brake & misc. page, Take a look at:

http://members.aol.com/Amziami/brkt.html

   The 2 pic's at the top, figure 3 & 6 are the ones that apply here, the
rest is just  some hydraulic brake info.

   The special tool you use is a small prybar, or large screwdriver.  Remove
the lockplate, using the prybar thru the access hole in the axle flange
engage the slots in the adjuster ring.  Tighten the ring while rotating the
axle on the opposite side to seat the bearing.  The spec for the bearing
end-play is .001-.006".  I would just tighten the adjusting nut snug so all
the play is removed, then back off 1 castellation, and install the lockplate.
 This setup uses a seal in the adjuster ring, so be careful not to damage the
seal while while poking around with your prybar.

   I'm not real sure when this was used, but I don't think it was used in the
early '60s models.  I think it was used for late 60's, and early 70's full
size models that had either flanged, or tapered semi-floating axles.

   And Tom..... don't forget to put the wheels on <VBG>

Eldon McFarling
Ceresco, NE
IH DIESEL PAGE
http://members.aol.com/EldonMcf/