Re: Rear wheel bearings

> The wheel bearing inner race bore is straight, not tapered.

Right.

> retained by a retaining ring. These rings are a VERY heavy press fit on the
> shaft. should be heated in warm oil (180 degrees?) before trying to
> install. Should be drilled and broken to remove before trying to remove the

Very similar in over-all design to my late model Scout II axle shafts -
except the bearing and race are on "backwards" with the bearings' taper
going *outwards* and thus the race comes out with the 'shaft, vs. the
SII's taper "inwards" and the race remains IN the housing.

> No reason a Lock-Rite will not work in this type of axle--just remove the
> block that goes between the axle ends when you pull the spider gear shaft,
> and reinstall it  on the same shaft when you put the Lock-Rite in.
> I have done exactly this in a Volvo D 30 rear of the same design, with a
> Lock-Rite, and it works fine.

I was under the assumption the axle shafts pressed against this block..
and that since the Lockright is not hollow, it would cause problems with
this.  I need to look at my Lockright pics again to make sure the block
would fit inside the LR, too.

> "BIG NUT" (on the passenger side) is the means for adjusting the wheel
> bearing end play. No shims.

OK, that's what my friend Mike said.  "zero endplay" adjustment.

> looks like the ones (not IHC) which I have seen, the tip of a large
> screwdriver, or the chisel tip of a tire iron inserted into the slots in

That was my backup plan... chisel/screw driver.

> should be used. There is usually some sort of a device (cotter key was
> mentioned??) to insert into one of the slots in the big nut so as to keep
> it from rotating and screwing up your end play setting.

I have a little piece of sheet metal that has two holes - for the upper
two flange/retainer bolts.  It has three or four "fingers" that dip down
into the large nut.

> Assemble brakes and drums. Don't forget to put the wheels on! (with tires
> mounted!) :-)

<g>  Good thing you mentioned that! lol.

I'll try adjusting things tomorrow night.

Thanks!

-Tom