Re: Greg's 1300

>>Regards, Greg
>>
>>('69 1300 4x4- T-19 wide, Spicer 5831 3 sp. aux,, 2 No -Spins.)
>
>Greg, details, man!  What kinda ratios are in this 5831?

2.35 under,  direct, and .73 over. The .73 makes a near perfect split for
the 6.31, 3.09, 1.78 of the T-19.

Under,
>direct and OD?  What kinda rigs can I find one in?

It's NOT easy to find, let alone with all the trimmings! 6231's are fairly
common in R-190's, but a bit too big. and even further obsolete. Ya just
gotta look for a while! Try checking the graveyard ads in American Trucker.

Where did
>you mount it?

Got the crossmembers, shifter, linkage, and all with the tranny. Made
brackets to mount the shifter on the right rear corner of the T-19. Did
surgery to the center bottom of the cab so as to get the box mounted high
enough to get the driveline angles right. A two inch body lift would make a
LOT more sense, in retrospect.

Divorce mounted it, about where the transfer case would normally go. Moved
the TC back. Now have two short center driveshafts. Put the center bearing
that used to be in the rear drive shaft into the front one, and hung it of
of one of the cross members for the "brownie" . Front driveline angles are
actually better than those in the rear now.  (1350 joints, throughout)
(This truck was a cab & chassis when new, Tiompte lengthened its frame by
30 inches when they mounted the 7'x11' flatbed, and they put the extra
section in the rear driveshaft.

Got any pictures, huh, huh?

It would break the camera!! Amazing how much better yuppie driving manners
get when one is driving this thing! This is the one I want to print up the
"I Harvest from five basic food groups--Toyota--etc." bumper snicker for!!
I'll bet Paul Harvey would even read that one on the air----

>Allan Weidenheimer
>72 1210 Pickup
>Envious

More details:

It has '68 hubs and brakes, 6 on 7-1/4" circle lug studs (upgraded to 5/8"
D. studs) and Budd 17" dually split rim wheels. The front hubs/ brakes are
actually off of a mid '60's Dodge D-500 4x4, and have the right offset for
running the dually wheels in front, together with 14" brakes. (The rear
axle is actually an RA-15, out of a '68 1300, not an RA-20, so as to have
the 6 bolt Budd hubs and 14" drums.)

Also have a (MUCH stronger than a 205) NP 201 case lying around that will
get rebuilt and put in there some time or another.

Also have a set of '68 springs (one additional and thicker leaves) that
need to go into it.

Also have one of the big old Ramsey PTO winches that needs to get mounted.

Trying to figure out a way to graft my Budd centers into some late model
19.5" drop center rims, and make the new rims not only about 8" wide but
with enough dual spacing so I can run 265 R .70 x 19.5 rubber. (Goodyear
makes this size in their NASTY G124 tread, G load range, and 7.50x17
traction tread tires have become a part of history!)

Looking for a rear brake drum (6 hole, 14") for the RA-15. Anything that
would clean up at +.060 would be great! Also need 1 wheel (spare got
swiped).--Know of anything? :-)>

Two standard IH saddle gas tanks, plus a third under the right side of the
flatbed, for a total of about70 gallons. It needs them all!!

Saginaw (4 turn) power steering, massaged by Tom Lee.

Working on swiping a big frame Leece Neville alternator for it off of a
buddy's dead school bus.

Someday, I'm gonna graft a 446, probably injected and with turbos, into it!
I kinda think that the 404/446 was what the factory was thinking about when
they set the engines back in '74 & '75, but the new engine wasn't ready in
time, and the light trucks died first!

Regards, Greg (who would never have TOO many projects!) (Just ask my sweetie!)

(But still trying to get her to let me round up a 1500 4x4 dump truck to
give it company!)

P.S.--Yep, one does get to inspect the roofs of Expeditions from this
critter's driver's seat!