Re: Sidewinder Winch

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999 10:11:59 -0700 "Tom Harais" <tjhemh@domain.elided>
writes:
>Had to jump in here guys...................
>
>In an old edition of Petersen's "Off Road Handbook" they have a section
>showing certain makes/models of 4WDs with diagrams of all the available
>accesories from such places as ORD (now defunct manufacturer of Steve
>Larson's 50 gallon fuel tank).
>
>Anyway, on their Scout diagram, there is this unique winch. It was made
by
>Sidewinder (another company that went the way of the dinasour). It was
like
>a flat, rectangular box. It fit between the frame rails with the winch
>residing just under the driver's side of the inside of the frame rails.
The
>cable was threaded forward through a fairlead in the front bumper. The
>"whinch box" was contained inside what looked like a 1/4" plate steel
box
>with a "slot" where the cable exits.
>
>It looked like a pretty neat set up, that provided several winch
>"direction" options and kept you from having all that wheight from
hanging
>off your front end.  Plus, it wouldn't affect your entry clearance.

The Sidewinder was made by Vic Hickey's company, or at least marketed by
him.  It was an interesting way of mounting a winch, but I've heard they
had a slow line speed and one pro lem with the mounting was that if there
was any problem with the winch, you almost certainly weren't going to
work on it out in the field.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]