Re: Oil filter

Mike wrote:  I was wondering about suggestions for the fluids to
be used.  It still has the old element in a canister oil filter, which I
have never dealt with before-any suggestions here?  I know you can
change it out to hold a modern screw-on type, but don't know any more
about this-is there a kit that someone has of the parts to swap this?
Is it possible to get a new element for this type?

Mike, IH made a bolt-on attachment to convert the old canister oil filters to spin
on types; it was pretty easier to change over and I did it on a few engines.
There's got to be a few of those left in the parts system somewhere (I've got one,
but I've got an old engine that needs it and I still have a bunch of cartridge
filters to use up). On the other hand, many Navistar dealers still have the old
cartridge filters in inventory. I know Missoula Truck Sales had ordered up three
big cases before the filters went out of production and so I can probably still
get these filters there for the next five or six years at least. Good luck, Kim
Sol, 1980 Scout II, 1963 110, 1964 1100C, others ....