RE: Custom Steering

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Farmer wrote:

> What's the installation require?  Do you have to cut the old knuckle off,
> and weld this one on - kinda like what I already paid money to do for a
> caster correction?
>
> Can you continue to use the same wheel & brakes?

In this case, with a Chevy axle, I remove the Chevy outer-knuckle...
ball-joints out.  First, the hubs/rotors/calipers/spindle gets removed
from the knuckle.  Then unbolt the balljoints and remove the outer
knuckle.  Then remove the balljoints (need 'em for the new knuckle)

Wait for the $200 parts to arrive from TriCounty.

When it gets here, I'll just put the balljoints into the modified
(drilled & tapped is all) knuckle, bolt the new knuckle to the Dana 44
housing.  Install the special arm on top of the knuckle, and then
reinstall the Chevy spindle n' brakes n' such.

Problem here - the Chevy is 6 bolt spindles!  Fine for THIS project.. but
that means Scout II spindles won't work.  I *believe* you could just use
Dana 30 spindles from a Scout or Jeep.. and probably a Ford caliper
bracket (again, 6 bolt vs Scout II '44s 8 bolt spindles n' brackets).

The other option is the route Darrel Kline took - get a knuckle from an
IH 1/2T pickup.. they used 8 bolt spindles and have the necessary "flat
top" on the knuckle just like the Chevy parts.

Darrel did his conversion himself.  You could either have the IH knuckle
machined to "look like" the Chevy knuckle and then bolt the $125 steering
arm to it, or you could probably send TriCounty the IH knuckle and have
them machine it and send it back.. then bolt it all in and keep your
current brakes, hubs, rotors, etc... but move the drag link to the top of
the new lift-arm.

I see advantages here for Spring Overs - $200 to do a straight drag link,
or $150 for a new Z-drag link.  If you already had a custom HD straight
'link, it would make great sense to do this conversion - plus it's just a
better setup.

That answer things well enough, Ken?

The other thing to keep in mind - TriCounty recommended I blow another
$125 to convert the driver's side knuckle (Chevy and IH Pickup driver's
side knuckles are already setup with the 3 studs you need) and move the
tie-rod wayyy up too.  The problem here - I would then have to convert to
a "drag link to center of tie rod" arrangement since TriCounty's arms
don't have provisions for TWO attachments on the knuckle.. you couldn't
run a stock drag link all the way across to the knuckle *and* a tie rod.

On my racer, I'm leaving the tie-rod where it currently is - out in front
and low - rock fodder - since I don't plan on bashing too many boulders
at speed... and, of course, I'm on a budget. ;-)

-Tom