Solution? No Start - what to do

On Fri, 2 Apr 1999 MikeIIDC@domain.elided wrote:

> Ted Borck wrote:

> > > Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 23:13:48 -0800
> > > From: MikeIIDC@domain.elided
> > > Subject: Re: New Battery Cables Installed-No Start!

> > <snip>

> > > Yep, you musta missed it.  Accessory lights come on, starter doesn't
> > > turn.  Same thing every time.  Will start up to six or seven times
> > > sometimes, then won't.

> > Michael
> >
> > This is from the good ole boy - never meant no harm - ball peen
> > hammer/12" crescent wrench school of mechanical diagnosis/repair - but
> > it will work.

<big snip>

> Ted-
>
> Thanks very much for the help.  I have known the jump start method with
> the big screwdriver, but never thought about the possibilities of doing it
> to the different terminals as a diagnostic tool.  This is good info for
> the future.

<snip>

> > Next take a jumper wire (small appropriate alligator clips on each
> > end) and cross connect the upper battery terminal *big*copper*bolt* on
> > the end of the starter solenoid with the small approx 1/8 " solenoid
> > exciter - I think it is marked with an "S" (powers the solenoid to
> > close the circuit and crank the engine) on the end of the solenoid.

> I just got it running by hotwiring from the "S" starter terminal to the
> (+) battery terminal, which someone suggested.  I guess this means that
> there is a small short in the wire from the ignition switch to the "S"
> terminal?  Either way, at least I now know how to keep starting it while I
> trouble-shoot!
>
> Thanks for your help-and if you have any better explanation on why jumping
> from (+) to "S" helps, I would certainly love to understand it better!

Michael,

This tells me that you have an intermittent connection between your
ign switch and the *S* terminal on the starter solenoid.

Quick fix - find the *terminal* on your ign switch (upper side of the
steering column behind the dash) which powers the wire to the *S*
terminal.  This will be the switch *terminal* which becomes *hot*only*
when your ign switch is in the *start*position.*

Run a new wire with appropriate connectors and grommet thru the
firewall hole.

Hope this helps.

Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided