Re: New Battery Cables Installed-No Start!

Allan & Kathryn Weidenheimer wrote:

> Well then here is something to try:
> Run a wire from the "S" terminal on the solenoid up to the battery.  Tape
> it off (don't
> connect it) until the next time it won't start.  Then, turn on the key (the
> "run" position)
> and go out and untape the wire, and touch it on the battery.  If the
> starter and solenoid
> are good, the battery will turn, and engage.  And if the ignition is good,
> it will start.
> Lift the wire to stop the starter.  Don't forget to tape it up again,
> because whenever you
> hit the key, that wire has +12 volts, and if it touches the body, that
> would be a dead short.
> If it starts this way, the problem is in your wiring that feeds the staer.
>
> If the starter still doesn't work, there is a problem with the starter or
> solenoid.
>
> That should at least narrow down where to look.  I have an intermittant
> with mine, there have been
> a couple of times it won't start.  I think it is the relay that I have due
> to the former automatic
> transmission starting to go out.  As a temporary measure, I have a
> momentary pushbutton
> that connects the battery to the starter "S" terminal wired into the cab,
> so if it decides to not
> start with the key, I just leave the key in the run position, and press the
> button to activate
> the starter.  Be sure to use an inline fuse close to the battery if you
> install this setup, and
> use #16 or #14 wire.  I do need to see about getting a new relay, but I'm
> leaving my emergency
> switch until I KNOW it is fixed!
>
> Your ignition has nothing to do with stopping the starter from turning.
>
> Good Luck.  Are you going to Tulare?
>
> Allan Weidenheimer

Allan-

Welp, looks like you are a winner!!!!  I just tried the wire to the "S"
terminal from the battery, and that did it!  I started it once, and it started
right up and ran!  Turned it off, started again, again, I was afraid it wasn't
going to fail on me now so that I would be able to run this test, but it
finally did!  I got out, touched the wire to the (+) terminal of the battery,
and VOILA!  There it goes!
So now, what exactly does this mean?  Do I need to check the wire from ignition
switch to gold box and then from gold box to starter?  I get the feeling from
looking at this wire, and from the fact that you have chosen to deal with it as
you have for now, that rewiring this properly is going to be a bit of a pain!
Dig out the wire from the bundle it runs with...YECH!
Or is this something simple that I am prematurely dreading?

Thanks for your help-you are my hero!

And thanks to all of the rest of you that helped me get this far.  Now I can
begin to try to get the thing running properly, so you can count on countless
more questions!

Michael