RE: Starting Problems on '74 WM

Mike wrote:
> I would either like to sell this or get it running well enough that I
> can drive it reliably!  I was hopijng to drive it to Tulare, but school
> starts Monday, and if I don't have it running by then, I will have
> scarce time to look at it!

I'm far from an expert.  When my bulkhead connectors were the culprit it
would just die while running (about 10 minutes after being started).  When
my goldbox was the culprit, it wouldn't start when hot (a new box was $43
at Pepboys).  When the starter was the problem, it wouldn't start when hot.
Same with the solenoid.  Also had a few problems with the ignition switch,
in which nothing would happen when you turned it.

Hmmm, I've had a bunch of problems!  On the other hand, those repairs
were across six years, and three IHs.  After the initial "baptism of fire"
involved in getting a new (very old) vehicle to run reliably all three of
these vehicles are ready to run on a cross-country trip.  The tough part
really wasn't the cost of the repairs - it was the time needed to diagnose,
etc, etc.  Having multiple vehicles made that problem worse.

Good luck,

Ken Farmer