Re: Fact or Fiction?

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 00:41:33 PST "Brad N" <ih_binders@domain.elided>
writes:
>Hello Group,
>

>   Does anyone here have any information about the travelall that was
>built in 1965.  I was told from a friend of mine (knows very little
>about thrucks in general) that this model there were 2 made in 1965
>(1200 series) with special features.  One for John Wayne and a second
>was set up for an Kenyan big game hunt in and around 1965.  Here are the

>list of features.
>   1.  A second heater (called Artic Blast or something like that).
>   2.  Handles on rear of truck and a stand for people to shoot from
>while moving (seems sporting).
>   3.  Internal compartments under rear seats and in spare tire wells
>in the rear.
>   4.  External compartments in the rear fenders (for guns of course).
>   5.  4x4 of course
>   6.  Self Recovery Winch (not just any winch.  This one runs off the
>transmission and all four gears of the transmission).  Must  admit
>the levers for the 4x4 and the winch are huge and require kicking
>them to engage.
>   7.  Has a 304 V8 orignal (did not know they made them in 65?).
>
>   That is all I can remember at this time.  Does anyone know what this
>might be worth?  Heck the gentlemen with the lifetime membership for the

>NRA and pilot would probably like this one?  Any news would be great.

I recall reading of John Wayne's Travelall in one of the 4x4 magazines
many years back.  I believe it had been used in one of his big-game
hunter movies, perhaps Hitari or something like that--someone find it and
get it in the IH Films list.  There was likely more than one vehicle
converted in this manner--just for use in the film if for no other
reason.

As I recall, it was pretty much a standard 1100 or 1200 4x4 Travelall
that had the custom body features added.  My guess is that this was done
by a customizing shop, likely one that did work for the movie industry.
It is unlikely that IH had much to do with this part of it, other than
possibly to cut them a good deal on the sale to get the Travelall in the
film.  There were a fair number of conversions going on back in the '60's
before Midas came along with their packages.  Crismon's book has a Travel
Equipment Corp. camper conversion of a Travelall in the 1963 section and
a D-1300 4x4 with a Panel body (that I don't think was a regular
production item) outfitted for an expedition by the Chicago Natural
History Museum in 1965.  I also recall something called the Mohs Safari
Kar, which was a conversion of a 70's Travelall that had sliding front
doors, lots of padding inside and out, and likely gun racks and all that.
 It was supposed to go into production by Mohs, but I don't think it got
beyond prototypes.

The small V-8's were introduced in 1959--they had to have been in
production by 1961 so that the 304 could be cut in half to produce the
4-152 for the Scout!

The winch was likely a 10,000 or even 12,000# Ramsey winch powered by a
PTO off the transfer case.  These were dealer/TSPC installed accessories
at this time.  This would cause it to operate in any transmission gear as
you describe.  Having to kick the gear levers would not have been
standard equipment.

Vehicles of this type, particularly celebrity owned, are worth whatever
you can get someone else to pay to own it.  I just saw Frank Sinatra's 56
Thunderbird sell on TV for $130,000 vs. $25-30,000 for a nobody's 56
Tbird.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]