Tranny Fix-Sort Of

Thank You!

All who chimed in w/ideas on my tranny problem-did indeed turn out to be
the pin that keeps things aligned.  When I still had problems, it turned
out being a little other nib of the pin down in the shifeter further.
I was actually amazed at how clear some of the directions I got were,
and am eternally indebted to you!
I started her up, threw her into every gear, including reverse, and she
moved!  I then put everything back together, checked it out.  Everything
is still good!  So I tighten everything down-no movement!  I can get
everytihng inot gear, but get no movement upon releasing the clutch!
So, as I had mentioned before, the "throw-out" distance on my pedal was
quite extreme, but I had no signs of slippage on my clutch.  I had to
raise off almost to the top of pedal movement to engage the gears.
However, as I said, there seemed no other problem with this.  Just took
some getting used to.  The prior owner told me about reading in a manual
about this needing to be adjusted on the tranny itself somehow.  He said
this could be done from the outside in, but that he wasn't sure how.  I
mentioned adjusting the pedal linkage up under the dash via the turn-out
screw system mounted there, and he said someone had warned him against
this-to do it the right way down on the tranny.
Anyone have any idea what he was talking about?  Should I just go back
in and loosen everything up that I tightened down and see if it works
again?  Is there some correlation between the spring pressure under the
protective plate over the shifting mechanism and the amount of clutch
play one has?
Do I sound like a complete rambling idiot at this point?
I am going out now to play with it, but thought i would ask now in case
anyone can answer by the time I get back and tell me what I have screwed
up!!!

Michael