Re: T-18 fluid

Dan,

   Yes, the T-18 should have 50w oil.  the Extreme Pressure addatives that are
in the gear oils will cause problems when used in transmissions.  there was
some good discussion of this on the BB awhile back, take a look at:

http://www.binderbulletin.org/cgi-bin/archive2.pl?read=8502

http://www.binderbulletin.org/cgi-bin/archive2.pl?read=8986

Here's part of one of the threads:

~~~~~~~~
<http://www.binderbulletin.org/cgi-bin/archive2.pl?read=8502>

>                              Re: Transfer case oil and a followup ????
>                              Eldon McFarling -- Thursday, 2 July 1998, at 6:
> 38 p.m.
>
>  Michael,
>
>  let me try to explain a little more about tranny & transfer case
lubrication.
>  First off while IH publications are very good in general, the
>  lubrication information is often outdated. Also since the lubrication
> section covers everything from Scout's to over-the -road trucks it
>  can be confusing, and inaccurate sometimes.
>
>  Synchronized manual transmissions, and transfer cases require lighter oil
> for lubrication because they have less clearance between
>  major parts, such as synchronizers, gears & shafts, etc.. Heavier gear oils
> cannot provide adequate lubrication between gears and
>  shafts since it will not flow thru small passages, or tight clearances.
Gear
> oils can also make shifting difficult, or impossible in cold
>  temperatures. Gear oils with EP addatives ( the type used in driving axles)
> are especially bad when used in transmissions because
>  the EP addatives can plug passages that the lubricant has to flow thru, and
> can also build up on other parts such as synchronizers,
>  and sliding clutches, causing early failure. Another benefit from using
> engine oil is that the detergent addatives in the oil keep the
>  inside of the transmission clean.
>
>  For all Warner transmissions, Dana model 20, 300, & New Process transfer
> cases, heavy duty engine oil SAE 50 should be used,
>  and will perform well in all normal climate conditions. (from -0 deg. f. to
+
> 100 deg. f.). For extremely high temperatures (above +100
>  deg. f.), synthetic oil should be used. For extremely cold temperatures (
> below -0 deg. f.) SAE 30, 40, or multi-grade oil can be used.
>  Dana model 18 transfer cases can use SAE 50 engine oil, or a heavier SAE
80-
> 90 mineral gear oil to reduce gear whine at higher
>  speeds.
>
>  IH built 5 speed transmissions T-34, T-35, and T-36 require mineral gear
oil,
>  R&O type, SAE 80-90. I believe SAE 50 engine oil, or
>  synthetic engine oil will work satisfactorily also. IH built 5 speed
> transmissions T-494, T-495, and T-496 MUST USE SAE 10-30, or
>  SAE 10-40 multi-grade engine oils. [there is a zinc addative that should be
> used in the T-495, T-496 to reduce wear on the shift forks]
>
>  To sum it up gear oils with EP addatives should not be used in synchronized
> transmissions. Mineral gear oil can be used in some
>  applications, but it may not provide adequate lubrication in some cases,
and
> is harder to find. SAE 50 engine oil should be used for
>  most transmission, and transfer case lubrication for all IH Scouts, and
> light trucks. Older, non synchronized transmissions should
>  use mineral gear oil.
>
>  Eldon McFarling
>
>                                        THE SCOUT DIESEL PAGE

Eldon McFarling