Re: Removing air injector tubes from 392 heads

The aliens commander decided Roger Scow <rscow@domain.elided> would make a
perfect specimen for dissection, and he yelled...

>Anyone have any experience with removing the brass tubes from the heads on a
>392?  Mine have brass plugs in the outsides, but the injector tubes are
>still present..

Roger,

I removed the tubes from the 392 heads on the engine I just rebuilt.  They
were really baked / corroded in place and the only way I was able to get
them out was by tapping them out with a punch from the exhaust valve pocket
(valve removed) to the outside.  I can't imagine how in the world you'd get
them out of the heads are still assembled and on the engine.  The IH shop
manual shows a technique where they're being removed with a round file.
This might work on a brand new engine, but it sure as heck didn't work on
mine.

Maybe you could drill them out???

Good luck,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  "The road to  tyranny, we must never
Life Member of the NRA          |   forget, begins with the destruction
WA Arms Collectors              |   of the truth."
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |                     William J. Clinton
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |    10-15-95, speech at the Univ. of CT