Good's bad day.

  Sunday, Joe Costanzo and I along with three of his friends from work
went out in the Pines to do some wheeling. I took Good, because it is
the only thing I can drive right now. (Bad is a stick)
   It had rained over night, and this trail we headed down had turned
into a stream bed almost. Most of the puddles were shallow so we just
kept going, until...
   This one section of the trail had a large puddle in it that had a
by-pass around it. Normally, in the Pines by-passes are there for a
reason, but this by-pass was flooded as well and it dumped into the
puddle it was by-passing and was still under water for a few more yards.
   So, I got out and looked things over. The by-pass looked worst than
the main puddle and I could see the bottom over on the side of the pudle
so I decided that that was the best way to go. I edge into it with Good
and just as I get all four wheels into it the bottom turns to quicksand
and I sink!
   Initially, I start taking in water on the passenger side floor. I
call for help and we bring up the Ramcharger that was with us with a
10,000lb SuperWinch on it. I hook up and he starts trying to pull me. No
good. Then we hook a recovery strap to me and onto Joe's Scout, no good.
Then two straps and two trucks, no good. Finally after at least a half
hour and the winch and both straps and trucks pulling at the same time
did they get me out.
   After changing the tranny fluid we couldn't get the truck to turn
over. The strarter wouldn't engage. We were going to attempt to pull it
out of the woods, but it was facing the wrong direction and there was
very little room to turn it around. We made several attempts to push it
around and finally managed to get it 90 degs to the trail up in the
trees. It was at this point that we decided to leave her until today
when I can go back and swap starters and try to drive her out. I'll be
heading out in a few minutes.
   And to think I could have driven down to Manassess and helped Dennis
and Rob cut up a parts truck instead.

_____Dan Nees_____
cookiedan@domain.elided

1 Scout II 1979 named Good
1 Scout II 1971 named Bad
1 Scout II 1979 named Ugly
I'm looking for an Automatic Tranny that will not take on water!

http://www.triplediamond.org