Re: overdrive

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:26:03 -0500 Brian Schwirzbin <slacker@domain.elided>
writes:
>Tom Mandera wrote:
>> How about asking someone with a 1980 Scout II with 2.72 gears how
>> awesome the mileage is?
>
>I've got 2.72's along w/ a 304, 727, 33" tires and its like a 2 speed w/
>overdrive.  I can do 65mph and just be hitting 3000rpm...in 2nd.  I
>think I've done 100mph (speedo only goes to 85) and not even hit
>3000rpm.  In my opinion 3.07's or 3.31's would be better 'cause w/ these
>things you lose speed just going up an overpass, they're too tall.  Or
>perhaps a 392 would work better w/ them.  I think I'm going to be
>swapping these out soon for 3.54's or 3.73's so if anyone is looking for
>a set, let me know.

I'd agree that for a 304 and 33" tires, 2.72's would be too tall.  With a
345 that's been worked on a little, 31" tires, and 2.72's, I consider
mine to be on the edge of good driveability.  It does maintain speed on
the hills we've got in the flatlands, but doesn't have a lot of reserve
in high gear (maybe I need an MSD to correct this  :-) ) and if I were
driving in the mountains, I'd probably be in 3rd a lot (which gives the
same RPM that I had with the original 3.54's) or be thinking about lower
gears.

With my 29" street tires, which is the equivalent of changing to 2.90
gears with the 31's, it's geared good for the highway and I do get 19-20
mpg on the highway which I can't complain about, but that mileage sure
drops fast when I get into town.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]