Re: Timing Specs

The aliens commander decided Kevin Curry <kevin@domain.elided> would make a
perfect specimen for dissection, and he yelled...

>I plan on re-setting the timing on the Scout this weekend since the
>distributor has been loose for I don't know HOW long. I don't have a
>shop manual for it so I'm hoping someone in this Scout World has the
>specs I need to do it. I have (like I have posted before) the Scout II
>w/ 345 ad Prestolite Ignition (no gold box) 727 tranny, etc...I don't
>know what all info I need to provide so I hope this is it. Can anyone
>help me out here?

Kevin,

Start at 0 degrees BTDC.  That is *usually* the specification for all IH V8
gasoline engines in Scouts.  Some engines in the late 70's had stickers
under the hood specifying some small amount of advance.  However, many
folks here on the Digest report running as much as 15 degrees BTDC advance.
It all seems to depend on the particular engine and distributor advance
curve.  You might try to advance the timing by say 2.5 degrees one weekend
at a time until you detect pinging under load.  Then back off that last 2.5
degrees so you don't have pinging.  But I wouldn't start out at 15 degrees
BTDC.  I'm up to 12.5 degrees on my new V392E without pinging on 87 octane
unleaded fuel, but my old 345 couldn't take more than about 2.5 degrees of
advance using the same distributor, etc. before it would start pinging.  Go
figure!

Good luck,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  "The road to  tyranny, we must never
Life Member of the NRA          |   forget, begins with the destruction
WA Arms Collectors              |   of the truth."
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |                     William J. Clinton
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |    10-15-95, speech at the Univ. of CT