Re: An late night idea

Rik DesJardin wrote:
> your putting full size, 8 lug axles on the racer right?  What if you used
> dually wheels; Turn them in as a driver and out as a racer

Cool idea!  But I'm not.. I rethought some more.. I *really* want 5 on
5.5.  Financials insist on it. ;-)

Also, while talking to John Comer last night..

This rear axle I have has flanged axles.. typical tapered roller
bearings, secured to the axle housing via a flange with 4 bolts.

John said the tapered (old style) axle shafts would be retained by a big
nut?

Either my axle has been converted to flanged, or when the gears were
replaced by the previous owner, they put older gears into the housing,
with the taper spacer, and didn't bother to remove it.

Comer says.. remove the spacer block, and I'm good to go with a
Lockright.  *whew*

Found the Chevy axle yesterday.. $150 spindle to spindle, $200 drum to
drum... tempted to get drum to drum.. I *do* have some Chevy 6lug wheels
n' tires I could use...

OTOH, I may also have some F150 hubs soon.. also turns out I only need
the F150 *hubs*.. I can use SII rotors.

The big sigh of relief is on the rear axle's carrier... I can Lockright
it!

-Tom