Bill's mirrors

     Bill D,

        I understand that your mirror hit the girl's car, and it was a bit
     of fate and justice, but the thing to recognize is: that a projectile
     exiting a moving vehicle through willful knowledge of the operator is
     a crime.  If you failed to tighten the mirror and as a result it came
     off and caused damage, YOU ARE liable.

        I was parked on a hill at an intersection too steep to be held
     there in gear.  The light changed and before I accelerated the truck
     drifted back about 1.5".  My daul Jerry can rack made a noise as I
     looked in the mirror the '73 Impala was VERY close to me.  I didn't
     think anything of it,and proceeded onmy merry way.  I suppose the I
     would have been liable had there been damage.  However, in Arizona, it
     is the requirement of the -following- driver to maintain a safe
     distance determined by 'reasonable and prudent'.  The usual seems to
     be two seconds.  Sounds to me like you should've just jabbed the
     brakes once, and collected about $1000 from the Acura girl.

        Food for thought.

        -Joel