Re: Axles & Lockers

Howard R Pletcher wrote:

> From what I read, you've got an older, mid-60's Dana 44 with the tapered
> axle shafts, correct?  Needing the slide hammer to pull the axle shafts
> says it was, I think.

I think that describes it.  I wouldn't be surprised if it took a slide
hammer to get normal axle shafts out though ("normal" referring to my
SII '44s).

Where would it be tapered then?  The roller bearings on the ends of the
axle shafts appeared identical to my Scout 'shafts.  Interestingly, the
race came out with the bearing.. while on my Scout 'shafts, the race
stays put in the housing.

I'm not sure where the taper part comes into play.  There was a flange
that was bolted to the end of the axle housing to retain the axle shaft
in.. just like I'm used to seeing.

> If you study the axle and roller bearings, you will note that there is
> nothing except this spacer block to keep the bearings and axle from
> sliding off the race toward the center of the axle.  The diff is the same

So the inboard side of the race (on the axle shaft bearings) lacks a
"lip" then?  What's keeping me from installing a newer bearing race
assembly that's in a cone shape like the ones on my SII 'shafts, and
taking care of this right away?  Or is there a boss inside the axle
housing that should be present to retain the race that isn't there on
this housing?

Obviously I need to look closer tonight and talk more to Mike..

> This isn't what you're trying to do however.  I doubt that that the
> Lockrite was designed to accommodate tapered axle shafts--maybe the
> Detroit Locker was designed far enough back it might, but I'd want that
> confirmed by someone who knows.

Since the LockRight does not allow a "pass through" but rather the axle
shaft end rides *inside* the "side gears" (drivers) of the Lockright,
perhaps this would provide the required side to side resistance...

Time to call PowerTrax I think...

Thanks, Howard.

-Tom