Axles & Lockers

Went over to Mike's tonight and started on the 4.88 install.  We found a
couple teeth in the old Travelall rear axle.. but not from the current
set of 3.73 gears apparently.

Gears were stamped "something-70" so the gears currently in the axle were
from 1970.  Thought it was original until we found 4 spider gear teeth in
the lubricant.. but all of the teeth are on the spiders.

Mike used the prybar method to easily pop the carrier out of the axle -
after we unbolted the axle shafts and removed the drum brake parts.  Had
to use a slide hammer to get the 'shafts out.

The axle shafts look just like my Scout II axle shafts with tapered
roller bearings in the ends.

Now, the interesting part.. we pulled the carrier out.. and there's a
"preload" "thingy" inside the carrier.  I don't know the proper term for
it.. spacer block?  It rides on the cross shaft and forces the axle
shafts apart (that's my understanding, anyhow).

.... can I put a Lockright in this type of axle?  Mike said I wouldn't be
able to drop a Detroit in... and since my Lockright's "spider gears" (I
think they call 'em drive gears) were not hollow but dished (you couldn't
slide an axle shaft through the drivegear and into the other side), I'm
having doubts about this nifty spacer block being compatible with the
Lockright setup..

He said he has the necessary parts to put a PowrLok in.. but no 4.x Dana
44 30spline PowrLoks (say, anyone need a 19spline '44 Detroit?  He has
one for sale...)

Anyhow.. Mike grabbed a 4.x series carrier from his pile, installed the
spider gears and his dummy bearings and took the total "play" figure with
a dial indicator.  We then put the ring gear on and dropped it back in.
Tomorrow night we'll slide the carrier one direction and take that figure
and subtract our total play (91 thousandths(?)), which'll give us one
side's shim pack.. then take the remainder and add 15 and that's the
other side.. put it all back together, and I'm free to take my racer's
rear axle home.. then I get to grind off the perches and move 'em inboard
and then notch the sides for the U-bolts (since the T'all perches are
2.25" wide vs 2" for the SII springs)

The 4.88s I bought were made in 1977... same year as the Scout, imagine
that. ;)

Tomorrow we finish the gear install.. then probably Thursday I drop by
the junkyard for my .5" wall Chevy Dana 44 housing spindle to spindle
less gears.. $150.. then to track down some F150 hubs n' rotors (spendy
I'm told, though Mike winked and mentioned he *might* have an extra spare
set..) and I can put the front axle in for some testing and fitting...
and of course, that means I'll need to fab the front bumper for the racer
so I can get the tilt front clip hinged on it to see how tire
clearance'll work out n' such... then order some new hood pins and the
front 4.88 gears... and I just might be on my way to a running race car!

Wooo-hooo!

Still need to put the 727 w/ HD clutches back together and retrieve my 304
powerplant.. but I *feel* like I'm making some progress...

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout