Re: Axles & Lockers

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999 23:24:11 -0700 (MST) Tom Mandera <tsm1@domain.elided>
writes:
>>Now, the interesting part.. we pulled the carrier out.. and there's a
>"preload" "thingy" inside the carrier.  I don't know the proper term for

>it.. spacer block?  It rides on the cross shaft and forces the axle
>shafts apart (that's my understanding, anyhow).
>
>.... can I put a Lockright in this type of axle?  Mike said I wouldn't
be
>able to drop a Detroit in... and since my Lockright's "spider gears" (I
>think they call 'em drive gears) were not hollow but dished (you
couldn't
>slide an axle shaft through the drivegear and into the other side), I'm
>having doubts about this nifty spacer block being compatible with the
>Lockright setup..
>

>From what I read, you've got an older, mid-60's Dana 44 with the tapered
axle shafts, correct?  Needing the slide hammer to pull the axle shafts
says it was, I think.

If you study the axle and roller bearings, you will note that there is
nothing except this spacer block to keep the bearings and axle from
sliding off the race toward the center of the axle.  The diff is the same
as a later one except for these blocks.  I took an early Power-Lok
(before I knew anything about the spacer blocks) and had it installed in
a later axle housing--I had it done by someone who didn't understand the
spacer blocks either.  I went through several sets of seals and bearings
trying to make it stop leaking before I figured out the bearings weren't
seating completely and the axle was moving inside the seal causing the
leaks.  I pulled the spacer blocks and it's running 100,000 miles later.

This isn't what you're trying to do however.  I doubt that that the
Lockrite was designed to accommodate tapered axle shafts--maybe the
Detroit Locker was designed far enough back it might, but I'd want that
confirmed by someone who knows.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]