Re: Knuckle turning

>Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 15:00:38 -0800
>From: "Rik DesJardin" <rik@domain.elided>
>Subject: Knuckle turning
>
>My previous question was worded poorly.  What do you gain by turning the
>steering knuckles if you have an auto tranny in a Scout.

Rik,
 My opinion is that adding caster is the primary reason to turn the
knuckles. The front axle that I just swapped out had the knuckles turned
to add caster, but didn't rotate the pumpkin at all (it was intended
for a stock-height Scout). Rotating the pumpkin is sort of an
afterthought to increase ujoint life (both ujoints - you reduce the
angle at the transfer case as well as at the pinion when you rotate
the pumpkin). If you can't run a CV joint, then you will have vibration
at high speed - but many people are willing to give up the ability to
drive at high speed in 4hi (or with the hubs locked) in exchange for
the improved ujoint angles.

Later,
  Curt
   rcleavin@domain.elided  San Diego, CA
   Binder Bunch: http://www.off-road.com/~jweed/binder.htm
   Scouts West: http://www.scoutswest.com
 [/>/]             [\<\] '75 Scout II     '75 Travelall 150