Possible Electrical Short

     Hi Guys:

     New here, forgive me if I ramble.  I have 80 Scout II, (the last new
Scout bought in Tucson) 196ci, 193000mi, daily driver.
     For about 3 years now I have a jumpy amp gage, I think it is a
short because the head lights flicker slightly.  The gage starts to jump
at 1700rpm, it does not increase with a rpm increase.  It will increase
if you put a load on it, like fans, wipers, and lights.  I can not pick
it up with a hand held volt/amp gage.
     I have replace every thing I could think of, that doesn't cost a
paycheck, like alternator, ignition parts, starter, coil, even the
amp gage.  The auto shops haven't a clue.
     It does not seem to affect performance, ( I still get 0-60 in 35
seconds ) it is just irritating, and some day it will bite me.

     I hope your suggestions don't cost to much.

     Thanks;
     Neill