hot tank?

I have the F4-134 torn most of the way down and will need to have the
head and other parts "tanked". I have never done this and want to ask
for the right service as well. as having my expectations in place.
Are there chemicals/dips to look for? any that should be avoided?

I am to the point where the manual says: remove the valve springs with
tool #(manual is in the garage and I have my shoes off so no number at
this time), are there common hand tools that will suffice for the spring
removal? If I don't have the "official" tool will I "put an eye out"?

Willy
Wyoming
Up to my elbows in grease and loving it.
FC-150 (the kit)