Re: Oil Leak

The aliens commander decided "Stegmann, Steve"
<Steve.Stegmann@domain.elided> would make a perfect specimen for
dissection, and he yelled...

> I've noticed that if the oil pan gasket leaks back there, it will drip down
>inside the front flywheel cover plate, and then the wind from the clutch and
>flywheel can easily whip it arount in there.  BTW the starter gears, and the
>clutch side of the flywheel are dusty dry.
>
>Any comments?  I'm way to lazy to replace the rear main unless I *really*
>need to.

Steve,

I'd start with what's easiest first, and that's the oil pan gasket.  All
you need do is lift the body of the truck to gain more clearance between
the oil pan and the axle... a Hi-Lift jack on the bumper works great.  The
pan will easily slip right out without any need to move the engine.  For a
guaranteed leak proof seal, be sure and use a thin coating of silicone
gasket dressing on both sides of the new gasket, or use the ever IHC Digest
popular Permatex "The Right Stuff".

If the it really is the rear main leaking, it should become readily
apparent after the oil pan is leak free.  One thing to consider when you
try to decide if you really have a leaky tranny... I have a the TF727 auto
tranny and the Dana-20 x-fer case... the tranny absolutely doesn't leak a
drop... my x-fer case seeps a small amount of oil front shim pack.  During
operation, this gear lube from the xfer case finds it way all the way
forward to and drips off of the inspection cover on the bottom front of the
tranny bell housing.  There's always a drip there ready to fall off when I
park.  So discount the fact that you might have x-fer case gear lube
blowing forward too.

>How much clearance do I need between the axle and the front part of the oil
>pan to get the oil pan out without disconnecting the axle?  I have a 2"
>skyjacker which works out to 4" of lift in the front and 3" in the back
>based upon Eldons ride height information.

I have no lift, very stiff heavy duty springs and very little clearance.
Using the Hi-Lift jack gave me more than enough clearance... no sweat.

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  "The road to  tyranny, we must never
Life Member of the NRA          |   forget, begins with the destruction
WA Arms Collectors              |   of the truth."
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |                     William J. Clinton
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |    10-15-95, speech at the Univ. of CT