Traveler Liftgate Seal and Locking Pin Fit

I am replacing the seal (sides and top- 1 piece) for the liftgate on a
78 Traveler. The seal fits reasonablly well on the passenger side. The
driver's side fits close with the top but there is a significant air gap
between the seal and the liftgate from the top of the quarterpanel down.
The quarterpanels and corners appear to be original. The rear opening
becomes wider from the bottom to the top of the seal flanges.

Any suggestions for closing the gap? Such as using a come-along to the
far side of the bumper to pull the top of the driver side corner in.
This would require 1/4 to 1/2 inch inward movement at the top of flange.
Likely to buckle anything? Or, extend driver's side flange in by the
same amount?

Also the locking mechanism on the liftgate hits both locking pins (on
the corners). The liftgate seems to be low. (I replaced the quarterpanel
to top seals a few weeks ago.) The gate hinges seem to be up as far as
they will go and the pins are down as far as they can be adjusted. Has
anyone else experienced this? I figured I will slot the pin holes to
lower them.

Charlie Bierly
1978 Scout II
1978 Traveler