Springover update

Things have slowed a bit, but I'm still making steady
progress.

- Moved the rear axle back one inch (the tires were hitting
  the front of the rear wheel well). As reported earlier,
  drilling the main leaf was not particularly difficult. It
  looks like the tires will clear better now, but some trimming
  may still be required.
- Disassembled dana 300 to add oil groove to output gears of
  the Tera 4:1 gearset. Reassembled, and installed the dana
  300 into the Scout.
- Received and installed rear driveshaft from Six States (I
  ordered the driveshaft before I decided to move the rear
  axle. I hope this isn't a problem - guess I'll find out).
- Started putting the Currie twin-stick conversion on the dana
  300. It's made for jeeps, so I knew it would need some
  modifications. Turns out that there's a boss on the side of
  the top cover of the T19 that interferes with the shifters.
  It looks like it's there to provide something solid to be
  drilled and tapped to bolt something to the side of the
  transmission - like a PTO maybe? In any case, it didn't look
  like it served a purpose in my applicatioin, so I took a
  grinder to it and now it's gone.
  It looks like there's room for the shifters now, though I
  think I'll still need to bend them or cut and weld (the
  shifters are straight and hit the dash). They're also awfully
  short, so I think I'll cut and lengthen them, adding a bend
  while I'm at it.
- Ordered a long travel front driveshaft from Gloeco - I'll get
  it some time next week.
- I didn't get the angles quite right on my 'Z' drag link, so
  I cut it apart and shortened the middle piece, and changed
  the angles a bit. It's ready to be welded back together. I
  got a tapered reamer, and reversed the taper on the passenger
  side knuckle so the drag link can bolt from below, rather than
  above (the drag link would hit the leaf spring if it were bolted
  above, as the stock one does).
- Still waiting on backordered brake parts (TSM rear disk brake
  conversion, braided steel brake lines from Scout Pro). This
  hasn't slowed me down yet (I've had plenty of other stuff to
  work on), but if I don't get them soon it will (then I'd have
  to figure out other modifications to do in the mean time!).

Yet to go:
- Brakes
- Shock mounts and shocks
- Bump stops
- Fender trimming
- Get it on the trail!!!

Later,
  Curt
   rcleavin@domain.elided  San Diego, CA
   Binder Bunch: http://www.off-road.com/~jweed/binder.htm
   Scouts West: http://www.scoutswest.com
 [/>/]             [\<\] '75 Scout II     '75 Travelall 150