Re: Radios, and antennas, 3 years of E&M shouldn't go to waste!

jmbrodsky@domain.elided wrote:
>         The Stainless Steel whip from Radio Shack has the ball on the end.  Be a
> shame to cut that off and have a red hot poker flailing around.  I'm glad I've
> got the 1.1 SWR.

Umm.. c'mon, Joel.  WRONG END.  You cut the end that goes into the
mount!  Don't make me think of everything... ;-)

>         Ken,  silly for me to discuss this, I really didn't ever put an amp on a
> CB.  More guilt than anything , not to mention more than 4W output power IS a
> federal violation, but, I'm told that the output power amps now commonly come
> with a receive amp built in for just that.  Yeah, your RF friend is right, what
> good is being able to 'yell' 40 miles and only 'hear' 4?  They should have a
> directional coupler inside the power amp so you don't smoke your own radio
> internals at the instant you unkey the mic.

From the HAM manual, paraphrased - "In an emergency situation, any radio
operator is authorized to use whatever frequencies and power necessary
to resolve the emergency".. which basically says if a Tech or Novice HAM
needs to use 1500w and 10M to help someone (vs. 2M and 200w that the
Tech NoCode gets), then it's OK.

Thus, I argue, a linear amplifier is "OK" in an emergency situation..
not that I know what I'm talking about.. ;-)

And, FWIW, I'd take an FCC violation over freezing to death.  And yes,
shouting 40 miles and not hearing a response CAN be a good thing.. so
long as someone 40 miles away hears and sends help.

-Tom