Radios, and antennas, 3 years of E&M shouldn't go to waste!

Howard,

        The Ground Plane doesn't really act as the other half of the wave, it
acts more like a mirror does, creating the 'image' of the other half of the
wave.  Since there is a change in the electrical permittivity of the antenna to
the ground plane there is a 180deg phase shift, and you get the other half of
the wave for free.

        The 114" antenna; with the spring coil and mounting surely do
approximate the extra 4" you need.

        The Stainless Steel whip from Radio Shack has the ball on the end.  Be a
shame to cut that off and have a red hot poker flailing around.  I'm glad I've
got the 1.1 SWR.

        If you put the CB in the cab of the Corvette you run out of interior
cabin space!<G>  Experience noted.  '63 327/Sag3spd  '79 350/th350

        Ken,  silly for me to discuss this, I really didn't ever put an amp on a
CB.  More guilt than anything , not to mention more than 4W output power IS a
federal violation, but, I'm told that the output power amps now commonly come
with a receive amp built in for just that.  Yeah, your RF friend is right, what
good is being able to 'yell' 40 miles and only 'hear' 4?  They should have a
directional coupler inside the power amp so you don't smoke your own radio
internals at the instant you unkey the mic.

        Howard,  You ever seen these antennas commonly mounted on the corner of
some Winnebagos and others that look as is they have a 2" pipe about 2' long
then a 140" whip?  Asked around to all the HAMs here at work (Numerous, like
termites in woodwork), none seem to know.

        -Joel