Re: Carb Rebuild, More Questions

Chad Sibert Wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm in the middle of disassembling the carb. The service manual advises
> to "Remove the pump inlet check valve retainer and the pump discharge
> valve retainer."  The picture shows a screwdriver being used to remove
> the two retainers, which evidently have slotted heads, from the main
> well and economizer body.
>
> My body does not have the screws, but what appears to be pressed in
> plugs.  There are no replacement plugs in the rebuild kit.  Is iit
> mperative to remove these and discard the steel balls?
>
> Also, the manual calls for removing the choke plate screws and replacing
> them on reassembly.  Again, my kit does not have new screws.  Can this
> step be ommitted?
>
> Thanks for your patience, I,m sure I'll have more questrions.
>
> Chad Sibert

Chad,

When I did the rebuilt on my 1904, I ran across the same questions. The
economizer body on mine also had plugs in place of screws. I left them
there and didn't replace the balls inside. I'm sure that getting the plugs
out would be no problem, it's finding replacements for them that would be.
Also, on the choke plate screws, I was just real careful in removing them
so that I could reuse them after the cleaning.  One question for you on
the economizer body. On mine, at the very end of the thing (I'm going from
an old mental picture here) there is a little pin type thing that just seems
to be floating out of the opening. I can see a picture of it both in the
rebuild instructions and the manual, but am not sure which way it goes in,
or what it is for. Is there some sort of spring under it?? What does yours
look like??

One problem that I ran into when I did my rebuild was the adjustment of the
float level. I forgot what the rebuild kit said to set it at, but it was
too high. When I would shut of the truck, fuel would keep spilling into the
carb. After many times of removing the carb from the manifold to find out
what I did wrong, I finally adjusted the float a little lower and it was
fine after that... Keep that in mind if you get fuel spilling into the
carb when you are done...

Good luck with your rebuild,

John Townley
San Diego, Ca / Yuma, AZ