RE: CB Radio

Skip,

    Having worked on many CB radios (high school-college job in electronics repair) I'd recommend Uniden or Cobra CB's (Cobra is made by Uniden) and a good antenna (K-40 brand comes to mind). I think that Wal-Mart probably carries something in the car stereo isle but who knows what kind of Chinese krap-o-matic brand. Truck stops can be overpriced for radios/accessories. Try locating a local dealer for Uniden in your phone book or a consumer electronics sales/service shop.( Uniden's CB Website ) The combo antennas have been around a long time but you really lose out on both the CB and the radio performance. NOT recommended. Look for a quality antenna and have it "matched" or tuned once installed to get the best performance. If you have the larger bar/tube supported mirrors mounts are available to put fiberglass whip antennas on them. Another mounting option that doesn't require drilling holes in sheetmetal is a magnet mount. Get one that's good and strong and won't blow off. K-40 makes a magnet that requires considerable effort to remove. Has been known to leave blood blisters on the fingertips of careless installers :) The big 9 ft steel whip antennas take more to mount securely and are not well liked off-road because they can whip around and be quite dangerous to bystanders and spotters. Could be a flag pole for sand dune running though. Best of luck, find someone who works with radios CB/professional and ask questions.

Matt

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 18:05:38 -0500
From: ldupliss@domain.elided
Subject: CB radio

Greeting:
I know this has been covered somewhere in the past, I just can't find it.
Any how, the time has come to buy a cb.  Where does one go to purchase a
decent one (Wal-mart, Sam's, HIFI Buys, mail order???)?  Are there any
special features I should look for, is one maker better than the other, and
how much should I expect to pay?  Does anyone have any experience with
antennas which hook into the radio and cb at the same time (I've heard they
exist and like the idea of keeping my exterior clean).  I realize this type
of antenna will cut down on performance, but is there really that big of a
difference?

Thanks for any advise!
Skip

--