Re: Tera D300 4:1 stuff & 727

At 02:58 PM 3/8/99 -0700, Tom Mandera wrote:
>I thought Jim Weed had put together a T19-->J300 adapter?..
>www.tmcom.com/~rockhard  though Jim said he wasn't pursuing RockHard..
He's got a prototype, but it requires the Scout Dana 300 input
gear. Luckily, you don't need this gear with the 4:1 dana 300
kit. Noone has ever tried to use an Atlas with Jim's adapter,
as far as I know.

>What keeps a person from simply redrilling a Scout T19-->D20 adapter to
>the Jeep pattern?
The difference isn't just a matter of bolt pattern. The jeep 300
is enclosed (rather than being open to the back of the transmission)
and has an additional bearing and shaft that the input gear
is on (whereas the Scout 300 has the input gear bolted to the
transmission output shaft). It just isn't as simple as drilling
and tapping a few new holes.

>For the 727, this would have some added advantages.
Actually, there are easier options with the 727. Hey Peter,
are you lurking out there? Care to share your secret?

>I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap to have someone machine such an output
>shaft "adapter".. but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Sounds to me like you're just the man to do it Tom. Let us know
how it turns out :-)

Later,
  Curt
   rcleavin@domain.elided  San Diego, CA
   Binder Bunch: http://www.off-road.com/~jweed/binder.htm
   Scouts West: http://www.scoutswest.com
 [/>/]             [\<\] '75 Scout II     '75 Travelall 150