Re: Tera D300 4:1 stuff & 727

Curt Cleavinger wrote:
> He's got a prototype, but it requires the Scout Dana 300 input
> gear. Luckily, you don't need this gear with the 4:1 dana 300
> kit. Noone has ever tried to use an Atlas with Jim's adapter,
> as far as I know.

I imagine there's a few Scouters with 4:1 kits that have spare "stock"
input gears that could be had for an Atlas adaptation using Jim's
adapter.

> The difference isn't just a matter of bolt pattern. The jeep 300
> is enclosed (rather than being open to the back of the transmission)
> and has an additional bearing and shaft that the input gear
> transmission output shaft). It just isn't as simple as drilling
> and tapping a few new holes.

Ah.  I need to get under a Jeep n' have a look-see at the '300..

> Actually, there are easier options with the 727. Hey Peter,
> are you lurking out there? Care to share your secret?

The 1980 Wagoneer 727->J300 factory adapter?  You still can't use a CV
driveshaft though, right?

> >I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap to have someone machine such an output
> >shaft "adapter".. but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
> Sounds to me like you're just the man to do it Tom. Let us know
> how it turns out :-)

LOL.  No lathe, no mill... and only one truck with a slushbox.. and it's
not a rock crawler.  A Dana 20 is more than low enough (with 4.88s and
31s) for what I want.. and if the driveline angles with the spring over
is too severe, I can lower the engine and transmission a few inches..
since break over angle isn't an issue on this particular project either.

I'll stick to my sticks for my trail rigs. ;)

But maybe Fleck, with his 727 equipped Traveler, would be interested in
this type of adapter..

-Tom