Re: Tera D300 4:1 stuff & 727

Curt Cleavinger wrote:
> isn't a viable option with the T19 (a friend of mine tried
> putting the Advanced Adapters Jeep Dana 300 adapter onto his
> T19 so he could use an Atlas, but the adapter is made for a
> Ford T19, and the back of the IH T19 is completely different -
> you can't just drill and tap a few new holes. I wonder if
> there's a way to put the IH input shaft into a Ford T19??).

I thought Jim Weed had put together a T19-->J300 adapter?..
www.tmcom.com/~rockhard  though Jim said he wasn't pursuing RockHard..

What keeps a person from simply redrilling a Scout T19-->D20 adapter to
the Jeep pattern?  I've been thinking of redrilling for a Bronco Dana
20, which is also a round-hole pattern.  I have the correct input gear.

For that matter, I've often wondered... what keeps a person from putting
Jeep Dana 300 gears into a Scout Dana 20?  Physically, how different is
the S300 from the S20?  Is the '300 case physically larger for the
larger gears?  My understanding is the design is more or less
identical.  If I can grind out my Scout '20 for the larger Bronco
Gears... does the '300 just use a couple still larger gears, or is it a
combination of gears to get the 2.62:1?

Another thought I recently had I mentioned to Landry this weekend.. he
thinks John Fleck needs to start makin' this item (Hey, Fleck, keep your
eyes open)

Why not take a piece of, guessing, 1" diameter solid tool steel rod.
Machine out one end and spline it to fit over the T19 (or 727) output
shaft.  Turn the other end down, and spline *it* to look like...
whatever output shafts were used behind a Jeep tranny with a Dana 300.
Put a Jeep input gear on the end and go.

Of course, you'd need a small "extension housing" to bolt to the T19 or
727, and to bolt the '300 to.

For the 727, this would have some added advantages.. either the extra
drivetrain length would allow room for a front CV, or the extra
driveshaft length up front would allow a spring over w/o the need for a
CV.  It could also be used to let the 727 use the 4-1 gearset (since
Scout 727 4-1s are not available)

I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap to have someone machine such an output
shaft "adapter".. but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

-Tom