Re: ATTN Scout 800 owners with the 196---Need clutch help

John,

When you do the clutch, check the ring gear on the flywheel.  If it is
chewed up by the starter, you can have it flipped over.  They heat the
ring gear and remove it, flip it over and slip it back on before it cools.
This cost $10 last time I had it done.  If you have the ring gear flipped,
put on a new starter.  Go to your Navistar dealer they can get you a
starter rebuilt by Delco.  Looks and sounds like a new starter.  I won't
be using the cheap rebuilts anymore.  This expensive Navistar starter cost
me $65 instead of $40.  But, it spins much better and draws less current.

Good Luck,

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776