Dana 27's under an 800??

Hi all.  Been thinking about putting Scout II d44 axles f&r under my '66
800, so I decided to check my axles that I had to see what the ratio is.
I ran to the mechanics shop earlier to check.  I started looking on the
rear axle, but there was no tag on the diff cover, and I couldn't find
anything stamped there either.  So I started looking off to the side of
the cover, and found some numbers.  The drivers side has the US patent
number, the other side has a number up top, think it is 031377, and the
number 27 stamped below the tube.  So not finding any numbers that looked
like a R&P teeth count, I moved to the front axle.  There I found a tag on
the bottom of the diff cover, I could make out part of what was stamped on
it.  I couldn't make out the first number, but it *almost* looked like a
1, may have been a 4, the other numbers were 7-11.  I assume the first
number is a 4, since that gives me the ratio of 4.27.  But, the kicker is
I discovered that the front axle had the same stampings on the side as the
rear!  I thought I had a d44 rear, but when I looked back from underneath
the front of the Scout, the rear driveshaft was angled towards the drivers
rear corner.  So, I assume the rear is a d27??  I thought the d27 rears
were only available in the Scout 80's??  Howard, any ideas?  Was the d44
an option still?  My Scout is titled as a '66, but it is *definately* a
Scout 800.  Anyone have any ideas as to why my rear axle is a d27??  Also,
I know there is a FAQ about converting to Scout II axles, but that just
tells WHAT needs to be done, not HOW to do it.  Anyone done this?  Any
advice?  TIA.

Dan Felix