Re: MSD

In Linda Tripp's secret telephone recording, Monica and pharmer
<pharmer@domain.elided> were heard saying...

>What is the top rpm that it is capable of doing its multi-spark thing
>at?

I don't remember exactly, but I seem to remember an MSD engineer explaining to
me that the unit simply fires the spark plug as many times as it can in 20
degrees of crank rotation.  As the engine speed increases, the multiple sparks
start decreasing one by one until at about 2000 rpms it's reduced to one long
spark... or something close to that.

>I think that I've probably got a problem somewhere that is cause a bit of an
>acceleration lag.  It used to mildly hesitate when I floored the pedal, and
>sometimes almost stall.  I've driven it this way for about two years, so I
>almost can't notice this anymore!  Anyway, the MSD seemed to help a bit, but
>just enough for me to notice it again.  Does this sound like a holly
>accelerator pump thing?

Sure does to me.  Sounds like the carb could use a careful cleaning and
reassembly with a rebuild kit.

>Here's the deal - it creates quite a racket!  There's a loud crackling noise
>that comes from it.  Sort of a ticking that is somewhat related to rpm.
>I'll need to make it deal with engine compartment heat if I can't quiet it
>down.  Is this normal?

The MSD units do emit quite a bit of RF interference.  It could be that the
unit is causing an RF resonance in the stock dash mounted speaker which is
nearby.  My MSD is mounted under the hood on the firewall, and I can hear it
in my stereo speakers when the sound is turned all the way down.

>Also, I noticed a bit of a burning stink after driving for a couple hours on
>the freeway today.  But it was merely warm to the touch.  Anyone else go
>through this?  Does this go away (without frying the unit along the way)?

I can't help you there because as I said, my MSD is mounted under the hood.
However, if the smell isn't too strong, I would think a small amount of
plastic like smell would be normal for awhile as the new internal components
get good and hot for the first time.  If it gets bad, I'd start looking for
something like an overheating wire connection or fuse, etc.

Have fun,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)