starting:resolved

Just wanted to say that I have finally fixed the starting problem on my
'80 traveler that has plagued me for the last year. When cranking it
sounded as if it wasn't getting the full twelve volts to the starter. It
would chatter like the battery was low on charge. Occasionally it
wouldn't engage at all just gring away. I had replaced the battery,
cables, starter, relay under the dash, neutral safety switch and cleaned
all connectors to no avail. If you jumped the solenoid with a
screwdriver it was fine. The culprit turned out to be the ammeter!
Replaced it with one out of the parts truck and it works like a charm.

Nick