Re: Strange starting problem

The aliens commander decided "Brent Fidler" <brentfid@domain.elided> would make
a perfect specimen for dissection, and he yelled...

>Finally I put both feet on the ground outside the door and rocked the Scout
>forward and then backward while it was in park.  Then it cranked right up.
>I really am a beginner with auto mechanics, so forgive me if this is simple.
>
>This has happened twice since last night, but not today.

Brent,

Try this... next time it happens, shift the transmission into neutral and
try starting it.  If this works every time, then it might just be the
neutral safety switch on the tranny is out of adjustment.  However, it
could be that the neutral safety switch is failing completely and is need
of replacement.

The trick to figuring the problem out is to try and isolate where it is
when it happens.  You can isolate the neutral safety switch as the cause by
crawling under the truck and shorting out the terminals on the switch
connector with a paper or something similar.  I don't have my shop manual
with me to tell you which terminals they are, but someone on the list
should be able to help.  I believe the same switch functions as the neutral
safety and activates the backup lights???

A multimeter and a wiring chart would help you identify if it's the actual
ignition switch on the steering column that's the problem.

If both the neutral safety switch and the ignition switch check out, then
you can start looking at the starter solenoid on the top of the starter.

Good luck,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  "The road to  tyranny, we must never
Life Member of the NRA          |   forget, begins with the destruction
WA Arms Collectors              |   of the truth."
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |                     William J. Clinton
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |    10-15-95, speech at the Univ. of CT