Re: Re: V8 Conversion on 800

David Willmon wrote:
>My 800 has a big homemade bumper that has been installed and
welded to the frame, so I can't tell where the bumper
mounting bolt would be.  Where would the crossmember be in
relation to the front spring shackle?  Also, does yours use
the big bracket for attaching the steering box, or does it
bolt directly to the frame somehow?  If it uses the bracket,
roughly where does it go?<

David,

  It's 3 1/4" from the front edge of the cross member to the center of the
upper shackle bolt.  The upper shackle bolt being the one that goes through
the bracket welded to the frame.

  It looks like they mounted the cross member way forward so if you hit a
tree dead center it might protect the radiator.

  The steering box mounts to the frame, and the frame is reinforced with
double thickness metal around the mounting point.  I suggest while you're
remounting the steering box that you convert to Scout II power steering.
With that V8 weight up front you'll find the steering is a real pain.  I
mounted my Scout II ps box so the stock Pitman arm would clear the front
spring.

  Another suggestion, how about converting the brakes, too?   With front
discs, 11" rear drums and power steering my 800 drives almost like a car !

Doug