Re: Tired Engine Signs?

John A. Landry wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Not meaning to pick on you, but you've really got to stop trying to
> diagnose your engine problems without *first* doing some proper trouble
> shooting tests to pinpoint where and what the problem is.
>
> Yes by all means do a simple compression test.  It's not difficult and
> doesn't take more than an hour to do properly.  That in itself will go a
> long  way in telling you the general health of the engine.
> 1. Base ignition timing.  (Is the timing at idle set correctly and
> properly?)
>
> 2. Check the operation of the distributor's vacuum advance.
>
> 3. Check the operation of the distributor's mechanical advance.
>
> 4. Check for vacuum leaks... I mean *really* check... don't just give a
> quick glance and call it good!  Don't forget "hidden" vacuum leaks like the
> brake booster, etc.
>
> 5. Try spraying carburetor cleaner in and around carburetor per directions
> on the can.
>
> 6. Check, clean and adjust spark plugs, and breaker-points if equipped.
>
> 7. Has the fuel filter been replaced recently?
>
> 8. Has the air filter been replaced recently.
>
> You may also have to face the fact the something is wrong with the
> carburetor and it may need attention.  An overly lean or rich air / fuel
> mixture will cause generally gutless performance, especially during
> acceleration or load, but not so much during cruise.
>
> Likewise with a failed vacuum advance.  Not only does it cause a vacuum
> leak, but you get gutless performance and poor fuel economy.

John-

Well, I hate to surprise you, but all of those questions that I have asked and
you have answered have been done countless times!  All of these things have
been tried many times and in many different combinations.  I have set the
timing to 0, and have run it advanced to nearly twenty, with several stops in
between.  I have changed every filter, hose, plug, and fluid more than once.  I
have tuned it up as a daily hobby.  It ran better when I first got it, before I
started having my troubleshooting problems, so I always figured it was just me,
but I swear to you I have tried everything you mentioned many, many times.
I have noticed a misfire upon cold acceleration that I think is a slightly
underachieving mechanical advance-my old distributor acted similarly before I
replaced it-but it goes away once the engine is warmed up.  It is a pain
because the weather grants me about two free hours a weekend, and school grants
me none during the week.  When I want to go through all of these things at once
and get it all together, it rains/pours/my dog tears a tendon/the phone gets
turned off, etc.
I know I am probably a laughing-stock of the digest with my impulse questions,
but I assure you, I have tried everything that you mentioned, following either
internet advice or the factory manual, and it still has never come back to
GOOD.  When I wrecked the T'all this was a parts truck that was no longer
running.  I have been so proud that I have it running well enough to drive that
I have figured I would slowly get it back together.  Well, I am now tired of
being proud of it and want it better!
Anyway, thanks again for all of your help, and for these suggestions.  I will
try to go through it all once more when the next opportunity presents itself
and let you know what I find.

Michael