Re: Tired Engine Signs?

The aliens commander decided MikeIIDC@domain.elided would make a perfect
specimen for dissection, and he yelled...

>What are the indications when an engine is getting "tired"?

It falls asleep while driving it?

>I had never
>considered this possibility with my engine, because once it warms up, it
>runs terrific.  However, after driving it slightly over 400 miles
>yesterday, I began to wonder some things.  For one, the thing is very
[big snipola]

Mike,

Not meaning to pick on you, but you've really got to stop trying to
diagnose your engine problems without *first* doing some proper trouble
shooting tests to pinpoint where and what the problem is.

Yes by all means do a simple compression test.  It's not difficult and
doesn't take more than an hour to do properly.  That in itself will go a
long  way in telling you the general health of the engine.

From the symptoms you described, it could be a couple of different things,
but a "tired" engine (if there is such a thing) doesn't sound like one of
them.  Check the following:

1. Base ignition timing.  (Is the timing at idle set correctly and
properly?)

2. Check the operation of the distributor's vacuum advance.

3. Check the operation of the distributor's mechanical advance.

4. Check for vacuum leaks... I mean *really* check... don't just give a
quick glance and call it good!  Don't forget "hidden" vacuum leaks like the
brake booster, etc.

5. Try spraying carburetor cleaner in and around carburetor per directions
on the can.

6. Check, clean and adjust spark plugs, and breaker-points if equipped.

7. Has the fuel filter been replaced recently?

8. Has the air filter been replaced recently.

You may also have to face the fact the something is wrong with the
carburetor and it may need attention.  An overly lean or rich air / fuel
mixture will cause generally gutless performance, especially during
acceleration or load, but not so much during cruise.

Likewise with a failed vacuum advance.  Not only does it cause a vacuum
leak, but you get gutless performance and poor fuel economy.

Good luck,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  "The road to  tyranny, we must never
Life Member of the NRA          |   forget, begins with the destruction
WA Arms Collectors              |   of the truth."
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |                     William J. Clinton
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |    10-15-95, speech at the Univ. of CT