Re: Custom Spring Perches

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999 josad@domain.elided wrote:

> why use tubing?  yeah it would be cheap and fast, but if you used a solid

Yep.. cheap, fast, readily available. ;-)

> forged (not cast) block of steel and had it machined to fit your axles,
> you could incorporate a small lift (say 1") along with a spring over.

2" thick solid bar stock?  Not a bad idea.. but after drilling through
3/4" thick steel to make 1/2" dia. holes (for the tow bar mounts)
tonight, I'm not looking forward to using a 2.75" hole saw on some 2"
solid! ;-)

As for more lift.. I'm not looking for it.  The spring over is sufficient
for *this* truck.  I'm trying to stick with stock driveshafts on this
truck, too..

In fact, I was looking at it just now, and thinking I needed to take the
1/2" thick overload leaf out of the bottom of the pack.. except that'd
only leave 3 leaves, and no overload, and I plan on jumping.. ;-)  It's
sitting on 7" of lift right now.

> personally, i'd rather do that and tub / cut fenders than put on a body
> lift, my old mazda had one, it didn't feel safe

On the racer, it's getting cut.  Period.  No body lifts.. just cutting.

On my driver, when I do this same modification (well, using stock SII
axles, but probably fab the perches in the same manner) it'll be a
spring-over rear with a spring-under 4" front.. once again, more
suspension lift is not my goal. ;-)  But a 1" body lift and tubbin' will
come along... to finish clearing just the 33s I'm running.

You really think solid bar for the perches?  I suppose I could pay
someone else to machine it.. (did I mention I haven't bought a drill
press yet?)

Thanks,

-Tom