Re: Joel

jmbrodsky@domain.elided wrote:
>         Now, after putting the 3/4T rear springs in the Travelall, and
>      getting ready to put the add-a-leafs in the front I have WAYY travel
>      at the front wheels!  When you all got your extended brake lines, did

So the rear is still stiff as a rock?

>      you just peruse the books at Napa or AutoZone to find the correct
>      lines? Or did someone recommend them?  I can't wait to get my

I'm actually lacking in extended lines at the moment.. but others have
done the legwork to provide some of the information on my "longer brake
lines" page...

I assume the T'all used the same Dana 44 front w/ disc brakes as the
Scout.. did it use the 3/8" banjo or the 7/16" banjo fittings on the
calipers?  The Scout uses 7/16" which is the problem.  Which brought up
swapping Ford calipers on with a 3/8" fitting and using longer brake
lines from a 70s Ford pickup.

Also, someone gave me a part number for a 7/16--7/16 "extension" hose
that was 10" or 11" long.. I'VE LOST IT.. arggh...

>      Travelall running again.  I sure do enjoy riding the BMW the past
>      month or two, but it's gonna be nice to be able to strong arm in

I'm looking forward to overhauling the carbs on my '72 Honda so I can
look forward to zippin' around town now n' then!

>      fitting elbow.  That suckers gonna be killer!  Now I'll have an almost
>      fully swampable Travelall, yeah like that's what I plan to do, NOT!

Hmm.. snorkel, Joel?  You could re-create Dantes Peak.. but with your
Travelall, not a Surburban.

>         My scout is basically a parts getter now,and occasional off-roader.
>       It's too funked to put money into like: Locker, tires/wheels/lift
>      etc.

Of course, your Scout has the same Dana 44s that the Travelall has.. so
even if you coughed up $230 for a Lockright, you could always swap it
across to the T'all later...

>         If I find a good scout in good shape pre '73 with drum fronts, is
>      it really super easy to put '76 D44 disc axle in?  Need to swap:
>
>      Power booster      M/C      Propo Valve
>      Axle      frt brake lines?
>      entire brake line setup from MC to front axle?

My understanding is you change out most of that.. front brake lines are
supposed to be just fine.. but I was told the flare-nut fitting on the
rear brake line, where it attaches to the prop. valve, is a different
size on the pre-disc vs. post-disc (front) Scouts.. so an adapter will
be needed or a new fitting.

>      get the '74 2wd ready by Tulare!  I can get a Historic vehicle plate
>      in AZ for it! 25 years.  Cindy (my friend for years and now GF) agreed
>      to drive the 2wd or 4wd and we can maybe get both to Tulare!  How's
>      that for kicks?

Say... why don't you TOW BAR one Travelall behind the other? Mileage
probably wouldn't be any worse, right? ;-)  That would be a sight...

And, of course, should a transmission fail, or timing gear teeth shear
off, you'd have a complete "spare" Travelall in tow...

>      come up.  I believe that I have been on this digest for some 4 or 5
>      years running by now.  Yikes.  Time flies.

Lemme think.. I signed onto the Digest back in.. August of '94 for
sure... I was on the Off-road list a year and a half before that...
summer of '93..  Wow, I'm an old timer!

Some day I'll be telling stories to my grand kids like Hofstetter
does... "When I was younger, there was no "World Wide Web"... we had FTP
and Archie and Veronica and Newsgroups and the Oak archives and Wustl
and anon.penet.fi and the Garbo archives and...."

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
3 Scouts n' counting...