Re: Points

In Linda Tripp's secret telephone recording, Monica and "Rik DesJardin"
<rik@domain.elided> were heard saying...

>Okay, I'll use the points distributor, and put a Pertronix on the wish list.
>Oh.. by the way ...I got the tranny bolted to the engine today!

Rik,

I think you'll be very pleased when you make the upgrade from points to the
Pertronix Ignitor.  One of the biggest pain with points is the way the timing
drifts as the contacts wear and burn.  Unfortunately the timing is retarded as
the contacts wear, which causes you to slowly loose power and fuel economy.
Once you drop the Ignitor in, your timing will be rock solid... indefinitely.

Like Owen mentioned, I run a points distributor with the Pertronix Ignitor and
I keep a spare set of points, condenser, feeler gage, etc. in the glove box
"just-in-case" something were to go wrong with the Ignitor.  In addition to
the Pertronix Ignitor, I also have an MSD-6A.  A cool thing I added last fall
was a fire-wall mounted multi-point contactor in order to be able to switch
between the MSD + Ignitor combination or the Ignitor alone "on-the-fly" while
driving.  The contactor is controlled by a switch on the dash.  So if the MSD
were to fail while driving, I can flip a switch and operate off the Ignitor
(or breaker points alone if they were installed).

Happy Presidents Day

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)