Re: RE; Final question

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, William Cunningham wrote:

> > Children, why do I always have to work with children? Has no one ever
> > driven transmissions which were unsynchonized? How about old Chevy 3 on the
> > tree's which had an unsynchro first and blew the synchro in second within
> If you want to get proficient at the double clutch try driving an old 3
> ton stock truck with a 5 speed tranny and a  two speed rear end. Lots of
> fun until you miss-shift on a steep hill with a load of horses Agggg....
> It's a good skill to know.

Hey - this "child"/whippersnapper knows how to double clutch!  I learned
it the first time when the clutch master cylinder went out on my Chevy
Luv.. then again, that wasn't really double clutching.. rev it, pull out
of gear, let it idle down, slip into the next.  Always fun to get caught
between 3rd and 4th on the highway..

I also drive a '68 Chevy 1/2T with previously mentioned 3-on-the-tree
with non-syncro 1st.. and it's only a 6cyl, so running 2nd gear all the
time isn't *that* fun..

And of course, double clutching is VERY useful when you want to go from
4-lo to 4-hi and vice versa without stopping on the trail.. BTDT lots of
times..

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT - young but becoming learned
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
Back to the shop.. finally putting some LIGHTS in there.. since the old
8' light fixtures broke a while ago.. ;-)