Re: Hearsay

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:42:27 EST Suprscout@domain.elided writes:
>Subj:	Re: Hearsay
>Date:	99-02-12 14:35:30 EST
>From:	Suprscout
>To:	tjhemh@domain.elided
>
>There will be no Scout From Navistar  and I did not say Volvo/Navistar
or
>Navistar/Ford. I'll go out on the limb and say Navistar will not be
bought by
>anyone.  The SUV market is too saturated as it is and Navistar plainly
could
>not compete here. They will and should consider the 1ton pickup market I
>believe........ Sorry Folks the Scout will never be again just face it!
>
>John Glancy

I'll have to side with John on this one.  Despite the popularity of
SUV's, the economics aren't there for a new manufacturer which Navistar
would be.  All the others have cars and light trucks to help absorb the
costs of safety and emissions compliance and even a number of them are in
trouble, i.e. Nissan for one.

 I don't even see the one-ton pickup as coming, maybe a lighter
Advanta-type vehicle, but not an actual pickup.  But I will grant this
has a higher probability than an SUV.

And as he said, if a merger or buyout comes along, then who knows?  If
Volvo wanted to make a small fortune (out of their large one) trying to
break into the light vehicle market, who would tell them they couldn't
(except perhaps Ford's lawyers, depending upon what non-competing clauses
the sale of the car company contained).

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]